Public Interest has developed effective strategies for working at the local level with distressed communities, multilingual groups or individuals who have traditionally been disconnected from networks of support within their communities. We specialize in providing support to community-based organizations in their efforts to find ways to work collaboratively with other key local partners. Our work is nationally recognized for its inclusive processes and positive outcomes and our approach to community engagement is now being used in other communities by other not-for-profits and organizations in Canada.
We specialize in:
- Conducting research and needs assessments within communities
- Designing and carrying out extensive public consultations that consistently engage large numbers of people in speaking out about their community
Public Interest helps stimulate community engagement by:
- Providing coaching to build the effectiveness of community groups and other organizations
- Helping to build long-term partnerships and promote collaboration between diverse groups within communities
- Creating a space and process for dialogue among different groups in the community
- Training local residents as community animators who stimulate discussion and action on issues
- Working to implement community-based responses to local problems
The case studies below describe some of the projects we’ve worked on in this dynamic area.